Accidental mercury poisoning in a 2-year-old
The present case has been published in the Indian Journal of Pediatrics. Inorganic mercury poisoning is uncommon, but when it occurs it can result in severe, life threatening features and acute renal failure. A 2-year old well thriving child presented with alleged history of accidental ingestion of inorganic mercury chloride.

He presented with evidence of corrosive trauma to the gastrointestinal tract mucosa, but with normal renal function at admission, which was managed with BAL and other supportive treatment.

But he developed non-oliguric renal failure after admission, which also improved gradually.

On follow-up, two months later, the patient’s renal function was normal; indicating that renal failure caused by acute inorganic mercury poisoning produced no permanent renal damage.

Read about the case in detail here: http://medind.nic.in/icb/t10/i10/icbt10i10p1153.pdf
Like
Comment
Share