A 3-year-old girl presented to the emergency department after she had ingested a metal pendant. She had not vomited and had no pain in her chest. A physical examination was unremarkable. A radiograph of the chest confirmed a heart-shaped foreign body in the proximal thoracic esophagus. Ingestions of foreign bodies are most commonly reported in children 1 to 3 years of age.
Which of the following ingested objects warrants immediate endoscopic removal?
a. Foreign bodies that have been present for longer than 24 hours
b. Small coins (e.g., a penny)
c. Chewing gum
d. Smooth plastic button
e. Pencil-top eraser
Please post your answers in the comment section below. The correct answer will be shared soon.