Doctors body urges PM for cap on prices of all drugs, implan
Now open: Certificate Course in Management of Covid-19 by Govt. Of Gujarat and PlexusMDKnow more...Now open: Certificate Course in Management of Covid-19 by Govt. Of Gujarat and PlexusMDKnow more...
The Alliance of Doctors for Ethical Healthcare has written to PM Narendra Modi asking him to being all drugs, implants and other medical appliances under the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM)

The doctors body said currently only 15% of medicines are under price cap. This leaves 85% per cent medicines, which are as essential as other drugs, out of the NLEM hence vulnerable to exploitative pricing, Dr G S Grewal and Dr Arun Mitra of the alliance said in the letter to the prime minister.

The prices of all essential medicines should be those of hospital prices, which are far less than the MRP mentioned on these.

The body has proposed that the prices of the drugs, after including all the medicines in NLEM, and implants used in healthcare should be calculated as per cost accountancy only.
"No other method can lead to justifiable fixation of prices of drugs. Also, the profit margin on the cost thus calculated should not be more than 10% for the wholesaler and 20% for the retailer which is already in practice. No other profit should be given to the health provider facility," they suggested.

The alliance said the difference between the actual prices of the drugs and the MRP should not be more than 20%. At present the difference is up to 700-800% in some cases.

"The implants or drugs have no label of hospital price on them. It has only one label MRP. This difference is used either by retailer or by a professional for making profit.

Source: India Today
P●●●●●●a B●●●●t and 8 others like this1 share
Like
Comment
Share