Enucleation, Evisceration & Exenteration
Definition: This is an ophthalmologic surgery in which the eyeball is removed leaving the extraocular muscles and other orbital contents.
Can be grouped into 2 (absolute & relative):
1. Absolute indications; Eye malignancy like Retinoblastoma and Malignant melanoma.
2. Relative indications;
- Painful blind eye due to absolute glaucoma
- Painful blind eye due to endophthalmitis
- Anterior staphyloma
- Phthisis bulbi
- Mutilating ocular injury
Definition; This is an ophthalmologic surgery in which only the contents within the eyeball are removed. Usually through an incision at the limbus.
- Bleeding anterior staphyloma
- Expulsive choroidal hemorrhage
Definition; This is a mutilating orbital surgery in which the whole of the contents of the orbit and the structures surrounding the orbit (periorbital structures) are removed.
- It is indicated for malignant tumors arising from the orbital structures or those spreading from the eyeball