The Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has issued an order to nine manufacturing/import companies of orthodontic knee implants directing them to comply with measures to fix the ceiling price and maintain a supply of knee implants.
They have invoked powers under paragraph 3 of Drugs (price control) order 2013 which says:
1. In case of emergency or urgency or in public interest, the government can direct any manufacturer to produce and supply any active pharmaceutical product to the hospitals, institutions or agencies in bulk.
2. It has also directed them to furnish them with certain information:
- Furnish production figures for 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18
- To maintain production/import/supply of orthopaedic knee implants at the same level as before August 2017
- To send a weekly report of orthopaedic knee implant system produced and distributed.
This order is valid for 6 months, post which it will be reviewed by the government.
This order comes after the orthopaedic knee implants were price capped by the government and many multinational companies as well as local importers started regulating their supply in order to maintain their profitability.