Hypothyroidism and early pregnancy loss: an overview
Now open: Certificate Course in Management of Covid-19 by Govt. Of Gujarat and PlexusMDKnow more...Now open: Certificate Course in Management of Covid-19 by Govt. Of Gujarat and PlexusMDKnow more...
Thyroid disorders are associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes and can lead to spontaneous miscarriages.

One hundred and four women with early pregnancy loss were enrolled in this study and a thyroid profile was done. The thyroid status of women was established on the basis of standard cut-off levels. Prevalence of hypothyroidism (both overt and subclinical) was calculated.

The mean TSH level was 2.3±1.3 IU/l. Twenty-two women had increased TSH level (more than 2.5 IU/l) accounting for 21.15% of total women and the rest 78.84% of women were euthyroid. 15.38% of women presenting with early pregnancy loss were overt hypothyroid and 5.76% of women had subclinical hypothyroidism. The mean TSH level in the hypothyroid group was 4.9±2.1.

Hypothyroidism if untreated can lead to first-trimester abortions. All pregnant women should be screened for thyroid disorders in their first visit and treatment should be started at the earliest.

Source:https://www.ijrcog.org/index.php/ijrcog/article/view/9285
Like
Comment
Share