Man's chest cavity bursts into flames during surgery: An int
Get authentic, real-time news that helps you fight COVID-19 better.
Install PlexusMD App for doctors. It's free.
In August 2018, a 60-year-old man went into surgery for the emergency repair of an ascending aortic dissection - a tear in the inner layer of the aorta wall in the chest. The patient had a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and had undergone coronary artery bypass grafting one year previously. What transpired next, baffled everyone.

While the doctors we're doing open-heart surgery on the person, his chest cavity suddenly and inexplicably bursts into flames.

This happened at a hospital in Melbourne last year. Dr. Ruth Shaylor and colleagues from Austin Health—where the incident took place—recently appeared at the Euroanaesthesia Congress in Vienna to present the case of the 60-year-old who suffered a flash fire in his chest cavity during emergency heart surgery. The doctors warned that the case highlights the potential dangers of dry surgical packs in the oxygen-enrich environment of the operating theatre where electrocautery devices (using heat to stop vessels from bleeding) are used.

According to the doctors, as surgeons began operating they noted that the man's right lung was stuck to the overlying sternum with areas of the overinflated and destroyed lung. During surgery one of these bullae was punctured causing a substantial air leak. Subsequently, the flows of anaesthetic gases were increased to 10 litres per minute and the proportion of oxygen to 100%, to prevent respiratory distress.

However, a spark from the electrocautery device ignited a dry surgical pack, located near the man’s open chest cavity—and his chest cavity went up in flames.

Thankfully, the fire was immediately extinguished without any injury to the patient and the rest of the operation proceeded uneventfully and the repair was a success.

V●●●●●●●●i K●A and 7 others like this2 shares