Victim of the Freak Accident in MRI Room at Tata Memorial Ho
An employee of a Tata Memorial Hospital run treatment and research centre in Navi Mumbai, who had, in a freak accident in 2014, remained stuck to an MRI machine for four hours after a ward boy walked into the room carrying an oxygen cylinder triggering the machine’s monstrous magnetic field, has received a compensation of Rs 1 crore.

Technician Swami Ramaiah, 40, who was sandwiched between ward boy Sunil Jadhav, 31, who had brought the oxygen cylinder in, and the MRI machine, was paralysed below the waist as blood circulation to his lower body was compromised, his urinary bladder was punctured, kidneys were damaged, and there was massive internal bleeding. Though he has now regained some strength in his legs and walks unaided, his recovery is not complete. Jadhav fractured a shoulder in the mishap.

According to the panel of doctors, Ramaiah would not have suffered such serious damage to internal organs if the MRI had been switched off quickly after the accident. Instead, ACTREC technicians had to wait nearly four hours for a General Electric engineer to arrive.

The mishap took place on November 8, 2014, when a male patient was wheeled in for an MRI. During the process of carrying out the scan, the attending doctor asked Jadhav to fetch an oxygen mask. Jadhav, who had never worked in an MRI room and did not know that no metal is allowed anywhere near the machine, thought he had been asked to fetch an oxygen cylinder. As soon as he entered the room with the cylinder, the machine pulled him with such brute force that he flew towards it with the cylinder still in his left arm and carried Ramaiah with him. Before anybody in the room knew what was happening, Jadhav, with the cylinder in his arm, and Ramaiah were stuck to the machine. They remained glued to it for four hours.

It was only after an engineer from General Electric arrived and deactivated the magnetic field that the two could be disengaged and taken to Bombay Hospital.

Dr Vinay Jacob, a senior plastic surgeon at Bombay Hospital, who has been monitoring Ramaiah’s progress, said he had suffered from acute compartment syndrome in the accident. “In such cases, high pressure builds up in an enclosed space in the body because of the trauma. This hampers the blood supply to muscles and nerves, which could lead to permanent muscle damage,” he said.

Source: http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mumbai/cover-story/Rs-1-cr-settlement-for-Tata-Memorial-techie-in-freak-2014-MRI-mishap/articleshow/56978719.cms
Dr. R●●●n D●●●i and 4 others like this
Like
Comment
Share
Dr. R●●●t K●●●r A●●●a
Dr. R●●●t K●●●r A●●●a General Surgery
It shows the importance of "WORK AREA EDUCATION"..which z to be made mandatory before allowing any one to work in a particular area. Thus can avoid such mishapennings.
Feb 7, 2017Like
A●●a A●●●●●●●i
A●●a A●●●●●●●i Critical Care Medicine
Why dint the attending doctor or other techinicians turn off the MRI machine when it happened?
Feb 7, 2017Like